Thursday, October 18, 2012

Are there living things that can survive without oxygen?

Original Yahoo! answer question: Is there any living thing that can survive without oxygen?

Funny Answer:  Yes, my mother -in-law. No matter how much I try to deprive her from oxygen by strangulating her she still keeps on telling my wife that she could have done better than me. I suspect that if all the oxygen of the world would disappear she would still survive.

Serious Answer: Actually yes, there is a class of bacteria that is called anaerobic bacteria that can't live in the presence of oxygen, so obviously they can survive without oxygen. When life initially developed on earth there was actually no oxygen in the atmosphere, the oxygen that now exists is a by-product of the metabolism of the first living organisms. Now some examples of such a metabolism can still be seen in some archaebacteria.

No comments:

Post a Comment